Great news for parents looking to be reunited with their children or grandchildren in Australia – a new 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa will be open for sponsorship applications from 17 April 2019.
Unlike permanent Parent visas, there is no Balance of Family Test requirement for this visa, meaning a visa applicant is not required to have more than half of their children residing in Australia.
Are my parents eligible?
- To be eligible for the visa, a parent must be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the sponsor, who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- be outside Australia (unless invited in writing to apply by the Department), for at least 90 days if the applicant holds or has previously held a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa
- have not engaged in payment for visas conduct
- must be able to provide evidence of access to funds
- must provide evidence of health insurance
- must not have an outstanding public health debt (unless appropriate arrangements have been made to repay the debt)
- must satisfy health, character, and national security requirements.
How long can my parents stay?
The visa allows parents to stay in Australia temporarily for a period of up to five years at a time. A parent must be outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to apply for a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. A parent will be able to hold visas up to a total stay in Australia of 10 years, reflecting that the visa is a temporary visa and does not lead to permanent residence.
Parents who have held Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas for the cumulative maximum 10-year period must either depart Australia or apply for another visa that will allow them to remain in Australia. They will not be eligible for grant of a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.
For more details on this new visa, the associated sponsor obligations and costs please email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 9233 1805
Simon De Vere – Director of Migration Services
MARN 146 4940